Sunday, June 26, 2011

Homemade Basil Pesto


Since I am growing my own basil this year and have a BUNCH of it, I decided that I would make some pesto, since I love it. I found a recipe that is super easy and then I tweaked it a bit. If you love pesto AND basil as much as I do, than you should definitely try this recipe!
It is as follows:

3 C basil leaves
3/4 C grated parmesan
3 minces garlic cloves
1/3 C pine nuts
1/2-3/4 C extra virgin olive oil
salt
pepper
*lemon juice (as much a desired by taste)

*I added this to the recipe


Place everything but evoo in blender. Give it a few chops if your blender will allow (mine would not do anything until I added the oil, so you may or may not have the same trouble). Slowly pour in evoo until desired consistency is reached. And VIOLA there you have it!


After I tasted it I decided that it needed a little kick, so I added lemon juice, and kept tasting it until I thought it was right. I also decided that next time I am going to add a little less cheese, because it was a bit much for me.


So, what do you ask did I use my pesto for? Well, I decided to make a pizza with pesto as my sauce, and then added some grilled chicken, mozzarella and feta cheese. It was DELICIOUS if I do say so myself. And to give myself even more credit, my mom said it was one of the BEST pizza's she has ever had!! (Hope she wasn't saying that just because she's my mom? ;) )




So if you are growing some basil in your garden this year, go on, give this recipe a try, your gonna love it!!

Until next time, BYE!

Linking up to: Life Made Lovely

2 comments:

  1. I do have some basil growing in my garden and your post reminded me that I needed to make some pesto. I like to use it on pizza, too. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pesto and this looks so good. Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete