Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Drop Cloth Curtains

After much inspiration from the Drop Cloth Party that Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia hosted a few weeks ago, I decided to embark on my own drop cloth journey. When we moved into our house there were no doors on any of the closets, just thin little curtains that someone had obviously made like 100 years ago (not really but they just were old and nasty). They quickly got ripped down and were never replaced by anything. As my birthday present last year, my mother in law said that if I found some fabric she would make me some cute curtains for the closets in my bedroom. I never quite found the right fabric (or the right length for that matter), so I kinda gave up hope, until I saw Kristin's post.

I fell in love with her outdoor living room at first glance! She made curtains for her patio to make it feel like a separate area in the backyard. It is so lovely, and I wish that one day I will be able to have a room just as beautiful. But for now, I will just daydream about spending time drinking coffee on her patio.

Anyways back to reality, I decided that the drop cloths would be the perfect solution to the curtains that I have been looking for. So I piled sweet pea into the car and headed to the local Home Depot. I purchased two 9x12 painters drop cloths, had my mother in law do a little hem job on the bottom, and "viola" I had new curtains! I had originally planned to use these really pretty tie backs that I purchased from Joann fabrics for $6.99 on clearance, but since our closest are not the same on both sides they ended up not working. So I just decided to make some tie backs myself from the scraps that were left over from hemming the bottom.

I am really pleased with how they turned out, and I think they give a whole different feel to the room. Now if we ever have company over and the closet gets a little messy, then I can just shut the curtain and its like there was no mess at all. (in reality anyone that knows me, knows that I worked in retail for many years, and my closet is too organized to get messy!)

This is a picture of our closets when we first moved in. Don't mind the decorating I have come a long way since then!


This is what the closet looks like now with the curtain shut.

Here it is open, which is the way I prefer it.

I just LOVE the way they turned out!


Hopefully this will inspire you to create your own project with a drop cloth. Drop me a line to let me know what you came up with. I can't wait to figure out what I am going to use the rest of my scraps for.

Until next time, BYE!

Linking to the lovely Kim at Savvy Southern Style

4 comments:

  1. I love the way they turned out too.
    I love work'n with drop cloth's!
    I'm visiting from WOW us Wed.(new follower)I'm just staying in the kitchen entirely to much.
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amanda,I noticed you are in Kentucky, we are going to see the moombow(Cumberland SP) in October, have you ever seen or been, and if so is it amazing?..also going to try and visit Mammoth cave, have you ever seen or been?..I can't wait,I'm excited.
    ~Jo
    Lazyonloblolly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, thank you so much for your wonderful comment. It is so nice to meet new people out there in the blogging world.
    I have never been to the Cumberland Falls, but have seen pictures and it looks beautiful! I have been to Mammoth Cave and it is totally awesome! We used to go there on school field trips when I was a kid, and it was always so much fun. You will have a blast. Hope to see pictures from your trip, Have Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your curtains look great! I have not done a project with drop clots, but I have seen some of the amazing things that people do with them. I was a Lowe's a few days ago and I was looking at them. (I went there to buy some paint for a project.) Your project has given me an idea because we have only one closet in the old house that we live in.

    ReplyDelete