Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pumpkin Topiary Tutorial

So even though I don't have a front porch, I have always wanted a pumpkin topiary for the Fall. When I saw how expensive they were, I decided to tackle the job of making my own. And when I received a gift card from a little store called Hobby Lobby for my birthday (Thanks Frank & Suzie), it made my dream more possible.

After a trip to Hob Lob and the Dollar Tree I was all set to go. Here is what I started with:

3 Funkins in different sizes
super glue
leaves
berries
clay flower pot (pictured later)


I started by stacking the pumpkins and gluing them together. I had to hold them in place for a little bit, because the super glue wasn't as fast drying as it said it was.

Here it is all stacked together.

I then started layering the leaves around the bottom of the top pumpkin and the middle one. I liked incorporating all the different colors of Fall.

Here is a close up of one of the layers.

When all the leaves were in place, I decided to add the berries for a little more texture. After everything was glued, I placed the topiary in the pot to see how it looked, and it sat down a little much for my liking (sorry I didn't get a picture of this). In order to remedy this, I placed a smaller pot upside down in the bottom of the topiary pot, so the pumpkins would sit up a little higher. This created a little gap around the pumpkin, so I needed to add something to cover up this problem. In comes the Spanish moss. I decided to hot glue it around the place of the largest pumpkin to fill in the gap.

Here is how it looked after I added the moss.

Since I don't have a front porch, I put the topiary on my side porch. Here's how it looks. What do you think?

I know it looks kinda lonely right now, but after I add a couple mums and a few more gourds and pumpkins, it will look like Fall just plopped down on my porch! I LOVE the way it turned out, and I think it is my favorite Fall decoration by far. Do you have a favorite Fall decoration, if so, what is it?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I think it is great, Amanda! I've been wanting to "build" one of these, too. I didn't even think of using faux pumpkins, I thought yours were real at first - they look great! The leaves really make it, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love it! I totally want to try my hand at one of these this year and you just gave me some extra motivation. :-) Thanks so much for coming by and sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete