Thursday, May 10, 2012

Derby Party, Cinco De Mayo Style

I am a little late in getting this post up, but better late than never, right?  Hubby and I have hosted a Derby party for the past 5 years, and have always gone the traditional route with hot browns, mint juleps, etc, but since this year Derby fell on Cinco De Mayo, we decided to have a little fun with the day and host a Cinco De Derby party.  Instead of the traditional cuisine we decided to have a taco bar and margaritas in order to celebrate the double festivities.  The day was much more laid back and relaxing, especially for the host because I am normally stuck in the kitchen making sure everything stays replenished, but this year we just laid it all out on the table and people helped themselves whenever they wanted.  We made pork and beef and had all the toppings.  We did however top the meal off with traditional derby pie, bourbon barrel cake, and horse shaped cookies.  Below are some pics from the day.

I didn't do a whole lot of decor for the day, but what I did put out was mixed with a little "fiesta" decor as well.



I was really proud of the wreath that I made for my front door.  I had everything at home, except for the burlap ribbon which I purchased this year at Hobby Lobby.


These cookies were really fun to make.  My MIL gave us the cookie cutters for hubby's birthday, and I got the decorating idea from Carmel at Our Fifth House.  I think they turned out super cute!




I couldn't get sweet pea to sit still that day, so this was the best picture I got of her in her derby attire. (My MIL made her dress, and I purchased the hat at the dollar spot at Target and hot glued on the flowers)  Usually every year everyone dresses up in their cutest outfits and hats, but this year we were totally laid back and told everyone to come casual.


The weather ended up being perfect, so we were able to go outside and play games.  I think the guys played corn hole until like 1:00 in the morning!


Here is everyone watching the Derby race.  (Yes, your eyes are not deceiving you, my nephew is sitting on a cow.  He rode it out to the living room from sweet peas room!)


We did a pool for the race and everyone put in $5 dollars to pick a horse from the hat.  Jenni who is pictured on the right, won and the pot was$100!!  The other two ladies on the left are my besties Maurie and Amanda.  So glad they got to come.


What better use for a bourbon bottle than as a flower vase.


I just LOVE the horse corks that come with these bottles of Blantons.  There is a series of 8 different horses and I hope to eventually collect all 8, but at about $80 a bottle it might take me a while.


These beautiful roses were sent to me by my friend Hannah.  They came in the prettiest silver mint julep cup.


She also sent the Bourbon barrel cake that we ate at the party.  Doesn't it look delicious!


Well now that I have talked your ear off, I am going to jump off here and take sweet pea outside to enjoy this beautiful day.  I'm sure my flowers would enjoy a drink of water as well.  Until next time, have a great day, BYE!!

Partying today at Savvy Southern Style

No comments:

Post a Comment