Thursday, May 3, 2012

In Bloom

My yard has been just beautiful this year.  Since we have had a lot of rain and some really warm temps, things bloomed a little early this year.  I have to say though, that it was nice to have so many things blooming at Easter, because it made for some pretty pictures.  We have lived in our house for almost 4 years, so the things that we planted the summer after we moved in are finally starting to mature, and it's really nice to see all of our hard work pay off.  I have to give most of the props to my mom, because without her knowledge of flowers and plants, my yard wouldn't look half as good as it does.  She is just one of those people that has a green thumb, and she has learned most of what she knows from my grandmother's, so I hope she is able to pass on most of her knowledge to me.  I can definitely say that I have learned a lot since we moved in, Thanks Mom!

These first few pics are things that were blooming in late March early April, and have since bloomed out and won't be back til next year.


I just love these miniature daffodils that are planted around our dogwood.


Believe it or not, I planted these pansies back in the fall of last year, and they still look good to this day.  I guess they just really like their spot in the front of the house.


We moved into our house in August of 2008 and planted this dogwood the next spring.  The following spring it only had 4 blooms on it and this is what it looked like this year.  I just love that in a few short years things grow and mature so much.



These next pics were taken on Easter, they were the only ones I got of the front bed.  Doesn't sweet pea look thrilled to be getting her picture taken?!  That red azalea was the only one out of 3 that survived a couple years ago.  The other two got some kind of disease and died rather quickly.


We also planted the phlox the spring after we moved in and they were spectacular this year.  I am not usually a purple girl, but I love the color of these.  The white azalea was here when we moved in and it is gorgeous every year!


These next shots are what the yard currently looks like.  I got the ferns at Lowe's for like $10 and they are gorgeous.  The inpatients were also purchased at Lowe's and planted this year.  The daylillies were not blooming when I took this pic, but sprouted just after.


I planted this peony about 3 springs ago and I thought I had lost it, when my nephew mistook if for a stick and broke it off down to the ground.  I was so glad when the next year (last year I believe) it sprouted up and had 4 blooms.  This year it is full, and is so nice to look at out the back window.


Here are the daylillies in the back all bloomed out.  There are still plenty of blooms that haven't opened yet, so I hope these stick around for a few months.



This rose bush was originally planted in the middle of our backyard when we moved in which was rather strange, so hubby transplanted it a few years ago along the corner of the fence.  We weren't sure if it was going to live, but it did and hubby was real proud of himself.  The color of these are just so vibrant.  I love cutting them and bringing them into the house.



We finally got our vegetable beds all cleaned up and hubby mixed some new soil and pete moss in, so we are ready to plant.  We will probably start next week, once mom and I go to the Gardener's Fair we attend every year and buy some plants.


Mom gave me this cute little bird bath that she was no longer using and I just love it.  Isn't the little hummingbird on it adorable.  Ya'll know I have an obsession with birds!


I am looking forward to planted some more summer color once I pick up a few more pots to plant in.  I just love how happy flowers make you feel!  Well I better jump off here and get sweet pea to my mom's so I can  go to work.  Hubby usually watches her, but he is participating in the Kentucky Derby Pegasus Parade with Chick-fil-A today.  He is one of the handlers for the blimp that will be paraded down Broadway.  Derby is right around the corner, and this girl is EXCITED!!  Until next time, BYE!!

Partying with the ladies over At The Picket Fence

No comments:

Post a Comment