Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mmm Mmm Mondays #7 (On Tuesday....Again)

Well I am unfortunately a day late with this weeks Mmm Mmm Monday post, so you are getting it on Tuesday again. My computer has been acting up lately, and it would not let me upload any pictures to blogger. I am not really sure why it is happening, but boy is it frustrating, especially when you are already tired after a long day of cleaning and taking care of a 19 month old! The weather here was really nice today and almost got up to 60 degrees. I heard there is a cold front moving in tomorrow though and maybe snow on Thursday, YUCK! I am not a winter person and don't like snow that much so I am not very thrilled to say the least. Oh well, what can ya do about it.

This weeks recipe was found on, you guessed it, Pinterest! It is a recipe that I pinned a while back but am just now getting around to trying. I always like to make a least one pasta dish every time I plan my meals out for the week, and this one was one that we have never tried before so it was perfect. You can find the original recipe here. The recipe is for Toasted Ravioli, which is a nice way of saying that it's fried! Here is how to make it:

Toasted Ravioli

You will need:
1 qt vegetable oil
1 cup flour
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
2 tbsp dried oregano
2 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 package store bought ravioli (I used cheese filled)

Place your oil in a large pot and heat. When working with oil you need to be careful not to get it too hot or it will burn the food pretty much on contact (trust me I know from experience!), so try turning it on med-low and when you think it may be hot enough try one piece of ravioli at a time in case it's not ready. If it burns on contact your oil is too hot and you need to turn it down, if it doesn't seem to make a fizzle when you put in the ravioli then you probably need to turn your heat up a little. Like hubby told me, it's better to have to turn the heat up and cook the food a little longer than having it burn right away. (That hubby, always gives good advice)

While your heating your oil place your flour in one dish, your beaten eggs in another, and your bread crumbs mixed with all other ingredients in another.

When your ready to start making the ravioli, grab one, roll it in the flour and shake off excess.

Then dip it into your egg mixture.

Then dip it into your bread crumb mixture, and coat it well. If the crumbs don't stick you may want to dip the ravioli back into the egg.

Once it's good and coated, place it gently into the hot oil. It should make a little bubbly action and you'll know it's working. I placed about 5-8 in at a time. Let them brown on one side for about 15 secs and then flip them over to brown the other side. The raviolis should puff up a bit which is good because that means they are cooking all the way through.

When they are browned on both sides, scoop them out with a slotted spoon onto a plate lined with paper towels to catch the excess oil. They should look something like the picture below.

When your ready to serve go ahead and sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan cheese onto the top and Voila! There you have it. I served mine with salad and a bread stick, but these could be served with anything of your choice. They would even be a good appetizer food for a party, but you would have to make sure that you served them as soon as they came out of the oil, because otherwise they would get too cold.

These were really delicious and easy to make, and sweet pea loved dipping hers into the marinara sauce. She had it everywhere!

Hubby's rating:4

Hope you have fun if you decide to try this recipe, and be sure to come back and visit next week to see what I have up my sleeve. I am gonna go to bed now, it's been a long day and I am EXHAUSTED! See you soon, Goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my that looks so yummy and I am pretty sure I could eat way too much of that. The salad looks good too. Thanks for sharing I may have to try this sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ravioli anyway it's prepared, and I bet that I'd love this, too. I'll have to try it soon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete