Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Wintery Day and a Project

Well we finally had some wintery weather here today. The temperature dropped drastically in about 2 hours and we got a mix of some snow and rain. We were supposed to receive about an inch of snow, but didn't get that much in our area of town. They even closed school early today, in anticipation that the roads were going to be slick. They didn't get as bad as they thought, so I doubt school will be canceled tomorrow. I feel like kids nowadays get out for everything and when I was in school we never got out. In fact they let us out early one day in the middle of an ice storm!! Here is a picture of my backyard this afternoon.


Sweet pea and I got out and went to our favorite store Target this morning before the weather hit, but then stayed inside the rest of the day. We watched some of her favorite show Diego.


And then when hubby got home we built her a little fort. It was the first time we had done this before, so she was a little unsure at first about what to do. She eventually got the hang of it once I brought her some books to look at. Isn't that the sweetest thing!


Mommy on the other hand got bored being couped up all day, so what did I decide to do you say?? If you said craft project, than you get an A+! Since it was too yucky to go out and get any supplies, I had to make something with the things I already had on hand. I looked around the house for an idea and then stumbled upon this little blue bird. I haven't been 100% satisfied with this vingette in my dining room since putting away my Christmas decor, so I decided to spruce things up a bit by building this little guy a nest.


See doesn't he look lonely??



I remembered I had some spanish moss from another project I did back in the fall, and then I just used a styrofoam bowl for the nest shape.


Out came my trusty little glue gun and I went to work. I first filled in the bottom of the bowl, like so.

Then I started wrapping the edge and the sides of the bowl, and glued as I went.


Once I got it completely wrapped, I filled in the areas of the bowl that were still showing with the scraps that had fallen off while glueing. I then trimmed any crazy excess that was sticking out.



I found these twigs tangled in with the moss so I decided to glue them on the edge.


I wanted to flatten the middle down a bit so the bird didn't sit up so high, so I just placed one of my cereal bowls in the center of the nest and let it sit for about 1 hour.



Here is the finished product.




I think mr. bluebird likes his new home, what do you think??



I hope to be able to swtich this out for a real one some time this summer. My mom found the most perfect nest in my front yard last summer, and she took it to her pre-school so she could use it for her science center in her class. I had never actually seen one that was in such pristeen condition. Hopefully I will find one just as good this year. It is amazing all the hard work that those little birds put into making a nest.



I hope all this snow moves out by the morning, because I don't want to have to deal with driving in it. People just do stupid things when it snows here! I am gonna go now because Grey's Anatomy is on. On tonight's episode they are separating conjoined twins, Wow! Hope you all have a good night, BYE!!


Linking to:





No comments:

Post a Comment