Monday, December 5, 2011

Mmm Mmm Mondays #3

Hey ya'll, I can't believe it is Monday already! I feel like the weekend just flew by since we had so much going on. Saturday morning my mom and I went to a craft fair that is held every year at my old high school. I was able to pick up a few Christmas gifts, and it was fun to spend some one on one time with my mom without sweet pea. (My sweet cousin Caroline kept her for me) Saturday night we celebrated mom's birthday by having everyone over to our house for dinner. I made a chicken parmesan bake that I found on pinterest. I did not get any pics though since the evening was a little hectic, so I will just share the link with you all in another post and you can try it for yourself. You won't be disappointed!

Sunday hubby and I had our work Christmas party, and it was a blast! It is so nice to be able to relax and chat with our co-workers outside the working environment, and to see everyone in their "normal" clothes (Everyone wears the standard CFA uniforms). Sweet pea had been fighting a virus all weekend so she stayed with my mom while we went to the party. It was a nice break for hubby and I because she had not been sleeping or eating and was NOT a happy camper (that is putting it nicely!!)

It has been raining here all day so I am trying to catch up on laundry and thought I would share this new recipe with you while sweet pea is napping. This is another recipe found on pinterest. This again was a very easy recipe and required almost no prep work at all. It can easily be put in the crock pot before you go to work, and dinner will be ready by the time you get home. So without further ado here is Mmm Mmm Mondays post #3.

Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
You will need:
2 chicken breasts
2 cans rotel (medium or with med w/ green chilies)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn, drained
1 onion chopped
2 cans chicken broth
1-2 cups water
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp dried cilantro

*instead of the spices you can opt to use a packet of taco seasoning

Put chopped onion, beans, rotel, corn, chicken broth, water and spices in crock pot and stir to mix.

Put thawed chicken breasts on top of mixture and make sure they are partly submerged in liquid. I ended up using 3 breasts instead of 2 since mine were kind of small.

Cook on high for 6-7 hrs or low 8-9 hrs. I cooked mine on low for about 6 hrs and it was done, but it will just depend on how big your chicken is and you want to make sure that it gets done. Once your chicken is done remove it from the soup and shred.

Return to the pot and stir.

Place a few tortilla chips in bottom of a bowl, pour soup over and then top with toppings of your choice. We used sour cream and cheese and I added a few jalapenos to hubby's. Serve and Enjoy!

This makes a wonderful cold winters night meal. If you didn't want the tortilla chips, you could probably just serve the soup with a side of jalapeno cheddar cornbread or something similar. Hubby and I loved this dish. His only comment would have been to add a little more spice to the soup. He LOVES him some spicy food!

Hubby's rating: 4 1/2

Well I am going to jump off here now. We are going to see the Christmas lights show in the cave underneath the Louisville Zoo tonight with my sister in law, her hubby and my 2 nephews. I will be sure to take some pics and share with you all another time. Until then, BYE!

No comments:

Post a Comment