Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mirror Makeover

Since Spring is quickly approaching I have been up to my normal routine of moving things around the house and sprucing them up. I get sick of looking at the same old things after a while, so I like to make some changes around this time of the year. I walk past this mirror about 100 times a day and decided yesterday that it needed a little face lift.

I had been wanting to make a book page wreath for a long time now, so instead of that I decided to make a book page mirror. Mom had given me an old book of my dads so this project ended up costing me nothing. I like those kind of projects, and so does hubby's wallet! Here is what I needed to get started.

Once I tore a bunch of pages out of the book I started rolling them up. Roll the page lengthwise like so.

Until it looks like this. (Sorry for the ugly sore on my thumb, it's a battle wound from shopping at the consignment sale mentioned in the previous post)

Once its rolled all the way, fold the bottom about 2/3 of the way to the top, like so. Secure the fold with hot glue. Continue those steps until you have made enough to cover your whole mirror/wreath.

Start by placing the pages at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Place a strip of hot glue on the bottom of the fold and glue into place.

Work your way around the mirror/wreath until it is completely covered.

It will look like this when you are done.

To fill in the middle. I repeated the same step of rolling the pages lengthwise and then I cut the tube into 3 pieces. I then glued them into place just like the others. This is what you will have when that step is done. As you can kind of tell in this photo, there were still some gaps that needed to be filled, so I repeated the inner smaller tubes on the outer edge, placing them in between the larger ones.

This is what it looks like after its all done. Sorry for the horrible pictures, but my camera stinks and it was also nighttime when I finished so I didn't have the best lighting.

It kind of reminds me of a sunburst, and I quite enjoy it!

I like seeing the reflection of my magnolia plates in the mirror.


I tried to get a good close up of the layers. Can you see the small layer stuck in between?

I think it adds a little more brightness to our living room. What do you think?

I hope this tutorial made some sense, because I kind of made it up as I went. If you have further questions, shoot me an email or leave a message on this post and I will try and answer it as best as I can. I have some other projects that I plan to share soon, so stay tuned. Until next time, BYE!

Linking to these fabulous parties:

No comments:

Post a Comment