Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mmm Mmm Mondays #15

I promised you all that I would have a recipe this week, and I am not one to break promises. I am super excited to be sharing this recipe with you all this week, because it is probably one of my favorite recipes that I have made in a while. You all already know that this girl LOVES pasta, but what you didn't know is that I also love seafood! Not quite as much as pasta, but it comes in fairly close. When I came upon this recipe from The Pioneer Woman on Pinterest, I knew right away that I wanted to try it. Here is what you will need to get started.

Penne Shrimp Pasta a la Betsy

You will need:
3/4 lb penne pasta
1 lb shrimp
3 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 cup heavy cream
fresh parsley-to taste
fresh basil-to taste
salt and pepper to taste

To get started boil a pot of water and cook your pasta as directed on the package. I usually cook mine about 10 mins.

While your pasta is cooking, heat 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet, then add 2 tbsp olive oil.

Chop your whole onion finely and add it to your skillet along with your garlic. Begin cooking, stirring occasionally.

While that's cooking, pull the tails off all your shrimp and then cute them into bite sized pieces. (*In the original recipe she bought uncooked shrimp and then cooked them herself, I opted to buy fresh pre-cooked shrimp to skip a step, plus for some reason it is cheaper than the uncooked frozen stuff)

Now back to your skillet. Once the onion and garlic have cooked down a bit add your white wine. I opted to use chicken broth because I didn't have any wine on hand, which I wish I had, but next time I will for sure use the wine. The chicken broth still did the job though, so if your not a wine drinker don't worry about it.

Next add your can of tomato sauce.

Stir together well.

You will then add your 1 cup of heavy cream.

Stir that together well. You have just made a tomato cream sauce, give yourself a big pat on the back just like I did!! :)

Add your shrimp to the cream sauce and stir together.

The recipe called for fresh herbs but to be honest I forgot to pick them up at the grocery store before making this meal, so I just used the good ol' dried stuff I already had at home. It still worked, just didn't give it that punch of fresh flavor. Add some salt and pepper to taste as well.

Go ahead and drain your pasta and add it to your skillet.

Give your skillet a big stir. Go ahead and taste it one more time to see if any salt or pepper need to be added.

Once your done, serve it up add a little fresh grated parm on top and Enjoy!

Like I said this dish was a BIG hit with me and hubby quite enjoyed it too. I will definitely be making some more of the Pioneer Woman recipes in the future. I will definitely be adding this one to our "go to" dinner ideas. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Until next time, BYE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment